For Balushahi Dough
1 and half cup plain Flour (maida)
1/4 cup Ghee or oil (I used homemade ghee)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Curd
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
Oil to deep fry
For Sugar syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder (Hari elachi)
1. Mix the flour with sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the curd and ghee. Mix well and then pour in the water to make the dough. It should be not too sticky but not too stiff either.
2. Leave the dough for 15 minutes to rise. You can either cover it with a wet cloth or bung it into clingfilm.
3. Use this time to make the sugar syrup. Just add all ingredients to a vessel and boil till done.
4. Once the dough has had some time to ferment knead it lightly and make small balls out of it.
5. Heat up the oil and fry the balls on low to medium heat to ensure that the insides cook.
6. Drain on tissue paper.
7. Soak in sugar syrup and leave it for 2 minutes. You may want to flip them over once to soak properly. (Keep sugar syrup on low heat during the soaking process)
8. Remove them from the sugar syrup and they are ready to serve.