Biryani is one of the most popular meals at my home. Basmati rice cooked with spicy chicken is how I usually make it. However this time round I decided to go the traditional layer biryani way with different coloured rice as well. Of course I can never stick to a traditional recipe so I had a whole lot of other stuff going into it as well. Here's how it all came together.
500g boneless chicken breast, cut each into three pieces
2 cups of basmati rice
1 cup beetroot juice
2-3 pieces of cinnamon
2-3 pieces of bay leaf
2-3 black cardamon
salt to taste
Oil as needed
For the marinade
4 tbsp curd
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp green chili paste
4 tsp red chili powder
2 tbsp cream
1 tsp grated nutmeg
For the garnish
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1. Marinate the chicken breast overnight in curd, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste, red chili powder, salt, nutmeg and cream. Keep in the fridge.
2. Soak half cup rice in the beetroot juice for an hour, then cook in the pressure cooker.
3. Cook the remaining rice in the pressure cooker.
4. Take a new vessel. Use a little oil and add the cinnamon, cardamon and bay leaf to it.
5. Add half the onions and fry till brown. Now add the marinated chicken and cook till done but not dry.
6. In a separate vessel ass little oil or ghee and fry the remaining onion and tomatoes till slightly tender.
7. Add the white rice to the coloured rice and mix well. Add the rice bottom of the serving dish.
8. Layer it with the chicken pieces, then add the remaining rice on top. Pour over the gravy of the chicken on top of the rice layer.
9. Garnish with the onion and tomatoes fried. Serve hot with either raita or plain curd.